Project Doghouse stage 2: felt, insulation, and cladding

So at the end of the last iteration, the Doghouse looked like this.
2015-12-09 11.12.00
I’m failing to mention a few things here – one was that I was yet to install proper light (using a battery powered lamp is suboptimal), sort out power properly, and deal with the massive heat leakage (the heater had to be on constantly to stay at working temperature – although this was early December).
Lights were the next up:
 2015-12-12 19.04.15
I went with this long LED strip – as many people use for the battle-station setups. It supports full RGB tweaking so I can do things like make the light less blue when working at night.  (I occasionally just play with the lighting to make it look cool.  At the moment they are just draped around the inside until I sort out the interior cladding.  I was impressed by how much light they provided in the small space, but I suspect that I’ll be buying a second set in the near future to give it really workable amounts of light (and to provide some for the outside, when I’m faffing with the keys).
2015-12-12 21.41.44
Very improvised remote control….
However, the lighting was a fairly small part of this stage. Mostly this was about heat.   The doghouse was weeping heat at this point, and that wanted sorting.  The first stage of course was to finish building it. I’d been avoiding felting the roof but I clearly needed to get that sorted.
2015-12-14 14.20.00
Unfortunately, one more layer between me and the rain wasn’t enough,  it was time to properly insulate.
2015-12-14 11.34.54
First thing I learned, polystyrene  gets everywhere.  Not only was I carrying out rubbish bags of the stuff, I broke the hoover (which my girlfriend fixed for me) cleaning up after myself.  Those little balls stick to everything. I’m still cleaning those of my clothes.
However, once they started to go in, there was an immediate change in how well the building kept the heat.
Screenshot 2015-12-15 09.10.48Screenshot 2016-01-09 19.34.34
I was now only running the heater intermittently, and mostly when I opened the door (which remains the weak link in my insulation).
A few packets of tongue-and-groove cladding later, the doghouse even started to look like an office (battlestation if you came here from reddit)
2015-12-16 09.46.32
…and now we can take a snapshot (actually two, one with light levels so that you can see what’s changed) of where we got to…
2015-12-16 15.54.51
2015-12-16 15.56.36
Not only has the insulation and tongue and groove started to arrive (apologies, this photo was taken before I’d got back to the store to fetch the rest of the polysteynrine), but you can see a few other changes,  The teapot server has arrived and is running one of the screens for a start, also I’ve replaced the cheap desk with a countertop that I cut to size after scavenging it from my girlfriend’s kitchen redo (It’s resting on hurdles that I rescued from a man about to throw them in the dump).
This iteration has been quite fun, and the project is starting to form up.  In the process I’ve had to disgard a few of my earlier ideas to work with what I have, but it’s hanging together.

Leave a Reply