Although my broader list of all academic publications is available here, I’ve separated out the AAC focused ones as this is an area where I am still making contributions (I like to think).
Refereed Articles and Book Chapters
- “How was School today…?”-A Prototype System that Uses Environmental Sensors and NLG to Support Personal Narrative for Children with Complex Communication Needs (Proposal for System Demonstration at SLPAT 2010) , In , 2010.
- Trap Hunting: Finding Personal Data Management Issues in Next Generation AAC Devices , In Proceedings of the second workshop on speech and language processing for assistive technologies, 2011. ([link])
- Not So Liminal Now: The Importance of Designing Privacy Features Across a Spectrum of Use , Chapter in Digital Enlightenment Forum yearbook 2013: the value of personal data (Mireille Hildebrandt, Kieron O’Hara, Michael Waidner, eds.), IOS Press, 2013. ([link])
- Standing on the shoulders of giants: attacking the meta-problems of technical AAC research, In Proceedings of the fifth workshop on speech and language processing for assistive technologies, 2014. ([link])
- The Domesday dataset: Linked and open data in disability studies, In Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, SAGE Publications, volume 17, 2013. ([link])
- Ubiquitous User Modeling for a Complex Communication Aid, In , 2011. ([link])
- “Hands Busy, Eyes Busy”: Generating Stories from Sensor Data for Automotive applications, In , 2011. ([link])
- Looking at clouds from both sides: The advantages and disadvantages of placing personal narratives in the cloud, In Information Security Technical Report, Elsevier, volume 16, 2011. ([link])
Refereed Conference Papers
- The Domesday Dataset, 2012.Automatically generating stories from sensor data, In Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Intelligent user interfaces, 2011. (link)
- A mobile phone based personal narrative system, In The proceedings of the 13th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers and accessibility, 2011. ([link])
- Using NLG and sensors to support personal narrative for children with complex communication needs, In Proceedings of the NAACL HLT 2010 Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies, 2010. ([link])
- Workshop on Speech and Language Processing for Assistive Technologies Demo Session, In
Communication Matters Conference
- What We Want to Know About AAC, What We Need to Know, and What the Difference Is: A map for researchers (Joseph Reddington), 2013.
- The Only Way is Ethics: A tour of data-privacy issues in AAC (Lizzie Coles-Kemp Joseph Reddington), 2013.
- The Password is Irony: Fixing the communication problems in open source AAC products (Joseph Reddington), 2013.
- The Domesday Dataset (Joseph Reddington), 2012.