Project Doghouse stage 5: floor…

I’ve been trying out carpets in the Doghouse…
2016-02-04 14.59.32
My girlfriend owns a wide range of rugs from her travels and has kindly donated some of the more hardwearing ones to my general comfort.  I’ll spare you the photos of every rug in every position. Instead – it’s worth pointing out that the desk is still standing on trestles that I salvaged from the recycling centre some months ago.
They’ve been mostly out of the way, but I had some spare fence posts from another project and I thought I’d see if there was much use in them.
2016-02-04 14.48.41
This turned out to only be half an hour’s work – particularly when I also realised I could use some of the spare cladding I also had, to make low-visabilitiy supports for the legs (which are themselves screwed in).
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 21.09.41
This is the direct result.
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 21.09.51
I’m actually astonished at how much difference it makes. The whole side of the desk was suddenly much more free – particularly because the trestles had encouraged me to store stuff on them, under them and near them.  I’ve got a lot more space to play with (full view below).
Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 21.09.59

Project Doghouse stage 3: desk, lights, and cables

So last iteration finished like this:
2015-12-16 15.56.36 2015-12-16 15.54.51
I’m gradually adding cladding to the inside of the room, mostly when I’m bored of work and want to do something else for 30 minutes.  Most of the walls were relatively simple matters of slotting the boards together and putting in a few nails.
2015-12-17 09.53.57
(fish eye lens to make things easier)
But I wanted the monitor setup to have it’s cables tided quietly away, which meant running them behind the walls, preferably in a replaceable way…
So the solution was a couple of access points from Wicks, one behind the monitors, and one down where the power supply lives.
2015-12-18 14.06.31
Definitely worth threading the cables though before putting the points in the wall.  To make life easier – I’d bought a couple of double headed kettle leads (like these) so that the four monitors only needed two plugs, but there’s still a lot of wire to run.
2015-12-30 16.04.27
While I’m here we also did some tidying of the light cables (the lead that the lights came with was pretty short, so I bought an extension that could sit behind the cladding (this photo is slightly out of sequence, but belongs in the ‘cables and cladding section’).
2015-12-18 15.56.16
It certainly starts to look a lot shaper now it’s hanging more nicely (I’ve since tidied away the leads poking out, and I’ve got plans for the ones scattered over the desk.

Project Doghouse stage 2: felt, insulation, and cladding

So at the end of the last iteration, the Doghouse looked like this.
2015-12-09 11.12.00
I’m failing to mention a few things here – one was that I was yet to install proper light (using a battery powered lamp is suboptimal), sort out power properly, and deal with the massive heat leakage (the heater had to be on constantly to stay at working temperature – although this was early December).
Lights were the next up:
 2015-12-12 19.04.15
I went with this long LED strip – as many people use for the battle-station setups. It supports full RGB tweaking so I can do things like make the light less blue when working at night.  (I occasionally just play with the lighting to make it look cool.  At the moment they are just draped around the inside until I sort out the interior cladding.  I was impressed by how much light they provided in the small space, but I suspect that I’ll be buying a second set in the near future to give it really workable amounts of light (and to provide some for the outside, when I’m faffing with the keys).
2015-12-12 21.41.44
Very improvised remote control….
However, the lighting was a fairly small part of this stage. Mostly this was about heat.   The doghouse was weeping heat at this point, and that wanted sorting.  The first stage of course was to finish building it. I’d been avoiding felting the roof but I clearly needed to get that sorted.
2015-12-14 14.20.00
Unfortunately, one more layer between me and the rain wasn’t enough,  it was time to properly insulate.
2015-12-14 11.34.54
First thing I learned, polystyrene  gets everywhere.  Not only was I carrying out rubbish bags of the stuff, I broke the hoover (which my girlfriend fixed for me) cleaning up after myself.  Those little balls stick to everything. I’m still cleaning those of my clothes.
However, once they started to go in, there was an immediate change in how well the building kept the heat.
Screenshot 2015-12-15 09.10.48Screenshot 2016-01-09 19.34.34
I was now only running the heater intermittently, and mostly when I opened the door (which remains the weak link in my insulation).
A few packets of tongue-and-groove cladding later, the doghouse even started to look like an office (battlestation if you came here from reddit)
2015-12-16 09.46.32
…and now we can take a snapshot (actually two, one with light levels so that you can see what’s changed) of where we got to…
2015-12-16 15.54.51
2015-12-16 15.56.36
Not only has the insulation and tongue and groove started to arrive (apologies, this photo was taken before I’d got back to the store to fetch the rest of the polysteynrine), but you can see a few other changes,  The teapot server has arrived and is running one of the screens for a start, also I’ve replaced the cheap desk with a countertop that I cut to size after scavenging it from my girlfriend’s kitchen redo (It’s resting on hurdles that I rescued from a man about to throw them in the dump).
This iteration has been quite fun, and the project is starting to form up.  In the process I’ve had to disgard a few of my earlier ideas to work with what I have, but it’s hanging together.