This is a bit of a placeholder post - I’ve been meaning to write up the whole journey for this software for years but had never got over it. If I write this post then at least it’s a step in the right direction.
I’m building some software (called Delores) for parsing markdown files and helping humans (in this case, me) execute detailed workflows. It’s fun - I’m effectively writing a compiler and an interpreter, but with quite a lot of GUI stuff. I’ve built versions of it before: certainly I’d built my third version by 2018, but apparently I’ve never blogged about it before)
Today, I was working out queries. In a ‘normal’ programming language this would be an IF statement, but I’d like it to be a bit more natural for the humans.
It took a disgustingly long time for me to realise I didn’t have to use fancy syntax at all - I could use markdown’s internal link system and extract any links from an individual command. This also meant I’d found a much more elegant way to write jump notation.
I did some really good design and ‘working the problem’ this morning - I’m pleased with myself. I’m leaving it at a good stage to take forward and I’ll come back to it after I do some more important things.